Jan 8, 2010

Elizabeth's Room

Last month Elizabeth moved into her big girl bed. I was dreading the change. She is a very restless sleeper and I was imagining many nights spent picking her up off the floor. I was wrong - the transition was a dream. She loves her new bed and has never once fallen out.

The twin bed frame used to be my Grandpa Mason's bed. My Aunt Joanne held on to it for me after he passed away 3 years ago and my parents were able to get it to us this last fall. I don't have a before picture, but it was a medium wood and looked a bit masculine, so I just gave it a couple coats of white paint. I thought it still needed something more interesting so I distressed it a little. With a quilt as bedding, I thought the "chabby chicness" of it would work.

I need to give a huge shout out to my sister, who made this quilt. It is the most perfect little girl quilt I have ever seen - way nicer than anything I could have found in a store. Elizabeth's baby room was lots of soft lavendar and white, so the the new bedding colours give new life to her new big girl room. I love how the fusia, dark purple and mustard yellow colours are feminine but not too frilly, and have a sort of vintage feel! I know my sister spent many hours making this quilt - and it shows - because I truly have never seen a nicer quilt in my whole life.

This is her dresser area, nothing much changed here: Here are the shutters I found on mega clearance but weren't quite sure what to do with them. They used to be yellow and pink, so I painted out the yellow to white and distressed them too, to match the headboard. I really like the whimsical crown cut-outs: My attempt at distressing: The footboard. She needs this footstool to actually get into her bed because it's so high: A nice closer shot of my sister's work. The fabric has little mermaids on it if you can't really see. She also made the little flower pillow (who's fabric is also featured on the reverse side of the quilt) when she found this perfect matching material! That's all for now - I am now trying to decide on how to recreate an old kitchen table a friend gave me. Hmmm....

4 comments:

  1. OKAY you need to do some professional interior designer work here soon, her look looks amazing!!! Nice job Elizabeth for never falling out of bed, totally different story for Benson haha. Hope you're doing well Sue!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I am so impressed. Wanna come redo my kids rooms for me too? They need a serious makeover, you are so talented, and so is your sister, WOW!!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. So glad she likes her quilt!! The room looks amazing!!! LOVE the shutters!!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. You are amazing!!!! I definitely need your skills! lol I am painting an old wooden shelf white for the girls room, but it is so porous that you keep seeing the knobs and it looks so awful right now!

    ReplyDelete